Monday, October 20, 2008

Compensation vs Credit

I've been extremely busy lately which is why I've been MIA from the blog lately ! :(
But it's been a good kind of busy. I've been partnering on two major projects. They have really been rewarding. I am getting great exposure because both clients are well-known and successful. One is a professional athlete and the other is a clothing designer. So the experience has been invaluable as well.

The reality is though, I HAVEN'T GOTTEN PAID. At least not yet, anyway. The work is being done for a good friend of mine who really has great connections. So, I figure that although I may not be getting a paycheck yet, I can use this experience to leverage future business partnerships...that WILL pay off.

I am thinking this is a good idea....but I want to make sure that I am not being used in the process. Has anyone faced this situation before? If so, how did you handle it?

1 comment:

Mrs. NearlyWed said...

You need to get paid. You need to at minimum have had some discussion as to the budget allocated to PR services.
You then have the flexibility to "discounting" your rate or writing off your fee by sending an invoice for the retail value of your services and showing the credit you are giving them.
They need to kow and understand that you are something they need as much as they are a client you need. It levels the playing field. we are working with a client now who actually is looking to write off 100% of their expenses for an event, to the point where when someone offers to comp a service or product they are asking what else are they prepared to throw in?!?!?!?! All for the opportunity to be associated with a celeb. It's sick. You need to get paid or at lest have the ball in your court to gift back all or a portion of the services you have rendered.